Smoothies and Protein Shakes can be a great post-workout or mid-day snack, or even a meal replacement. If you buy them pre-made at the store, or at a restaurant, you will want to check the nutrition information, as many are high in sugar. There are so many recipes that you can make quick at home that are delicious. If you don’t want to use a blender, sometimes you can get away with simply using a shaker bottle, depending on what you put into it.
You can add fruits and vegetables, good fats, protein, supplements, and many other options. Not only can we get in more fruits and vegtables, we can also add good fats, protein and fiber, which will help our digestive system as well as keep us full longer.
- Berries – prevents disease and protects cells from damage, also high in fiber
- Bananas – potassium
- Citrus fruits – contain folate which helps produce and maintain your body’s cells and fiber, which promotes GI health. They also contain Vitamin C, which is critical for muscle and collagen repair.
- Grapes – heart-protecting antioxidants
- Pomegranate – antioxidants
- Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, and bok choy-contain disease fighting and immunity-boosting phytonutrients, as well as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Folic Acid.
- Kale-potassium, Vitamins A, C, and K and antioxidants
- Spinach-Iron and Zinc
- Greek Yogurt-adds calcium and protein, also contains probiotics that can boost GI and immune health
- Protein Powder-whey, vegan
- Avocado – Vitamin E and B Vitamins, Fiber, Potassium, Folic Acid
- Coconut Oil – helps keep you full longer
- Chia Seeds – super food, keeps you full longer
- Flax-fight inflammation
To add to thin to desired consistency:
- Milk – protein
- Coconut Milk
- Almond Milk
- Coconut Water – electrolytes
- Fresh juice – made from blender
Some of my favorite supplements to add
- Generation UCAN – helps sustain energy, optimizes performance and improves body composition
- Whey Protein – muscle recovery
- L-Glutamine – can help replace the natural glutamine that your body burns during exercise and training. Provides energy for muscle growth, enhances recovery from exercise and helps support the digestive and immune systems.
- Pre-Workout – Vitamins and Amino Acids and bio-active ingredients that may increase lean body mass, muscular strength, power and endurance, mental focus/concentration and nitric oxide production while simultaneously reducing physical and mental fatigue.
- Branched-Chain Amino Acid Post Workout – may enhance recovery from exercise, reduces muscle soreness, supports cardiovascular health, supports healthy immune function, supports joint and tendon health and supports cellular health
My most recent favorite smoothie – serves 2
3 small oranges, 2 scoops of vanilla protein, coconut water and water to desired consistency
Good carbs, protein, electrolytes, and tastes like orange sherbet!!
Heather is a Moxie Cycling Ambassador and blog contributor. Check out her bio here!